Minds in Motion
Minds in Motion® is a physical activity and brain stimulation program for people living with dementia and their care partners. The program runs in community-based recreation facilities and offers easy to follow physical activities as well as social recreation activities that are dementia-friendly.
Minds in Motion runs once weekly for 2 hours for 8 weeks at a time.
Organization/Sponsor Contact: Developed by the Alzheimer Society of British Columbia.
Type of Activity: Exercise
Target Audience: People living with dementia and their care partners
Langauges Available: English; French options in: Sudbury, Niagara, Cornwall
Costs: Differs in each region based on funding. Range is $0- $40 per person for 8 weeks (Note: Range may be higher in some communities.
Description of Activity Including Action Steps:
www.mindsinmotion.ca (Ontario specific)
Step 1: Background
According to the Ontario Brain Institute, “Among older adults with Alzheimer’s disease, routine/regular physical activity can improve performance of activities of daily living, depression, mobility and balance.” (Consensus statement, 2013). We also know that people with dementia have a greater falls risk due to the symptoms of the disease which can be improved by taking part in regular physical activity.
People with dementia have the right to be active in their community. Implementing dementia friendly programs/services support people to live well and decreases stigma around dementia and the abilities of those who face this condition. In many recreational facilities, dementia or other cognitive impairments disqualify people from joining programs. Therefore, dementia training and demonstrating how service providers can benefit from being more accessible to older adults with varied abilities can help to build a more inclusive community.
Step 2: Implementation
You can be a Minds in Motion delivery partner and champion!
- Get in touch with your provincial contact to learn more.
- All delivery staff and volunteers must complete dementia education through their local Alzheimer Society and the Function Exercise for Dementia through the Canadian Centre for Activity and Aging
- A partner service agreement is then completed with the Alzheimer Society and program manual and activities are provided
- Minds in Motion must be 2 hours once a week for 8 weeks with both physical activity and social recreation activities.
- Provide a space/ promotional opportunities for your local Alzheimer Society to run Minds in Motion
- Partner with your local Alzheimer Society to assess your current programs and complete dementia education to ensure your programs are dementia-friendly.
Step 3: Evaluation (Ontario specific)
A pre and post physical activity assessment and satisfactory assessment is included in MiM and accessed after partnership agreement is in place.