Fracture Prevention Toolkit
The Ontario Osteoporosis Strategy for Long-Term Care, McMaster University has developed a Fracture Prevention Toolkit based on best practice recommendations for fracture prevention in long-term care. The Fracture Prevention Toolkit contains valuable, practical information useful for healthcare professionals, caregivers and older adults living in long-term care facilities and the community.
This comprehensive collection of resources and strategies includes key publications, videos, point-of-care tools and tips.
This tool kit includes:
- Published recommendations for fracture prevention in LTC (CMAJ, 2015)
- Tools for health care providers: safe administration tool, order set, quick reference guide (in French and English)
- Presentations on the recommendations (PowerPoint presentations with voice-overs)
- Videos on the challenges of fractures in LTC, “Too fit to fracture” – exercise recommendations, and various videos with seniors and caregivers sharing their experiences.
- There are a number of resources specifically on fall prevention
- Work on this initiative, which is in partnership with Osteoporosis Canada, is ongoing with plans for more tool development over the next year.